Thursday, April 16, 2009

Projects...

Ok, so here's some pics of some of my sewing projects as of late, and also Wyoming Auntie A's bears she carved for my dad and mom... she takes orders, FYI. :-)

We'll go with the bears first, because they are just so cool. I love how well she captured Dad & Mom in them. :-)

And, Auntie Ten special ordered rag quilts for her new niece and nephew on The Adventurer's side of the family. Here's the niece one...


I really ended up loving this one... Auntie Ten picked out the colors, and I just love how vibrant it ended up being!



And, the nephew one...

With both of these I ended up making little lovey's to go with them, just a small version of the same blanket basically. I suppose it could be a burp cloth too, if desired. I was really pleased with how they ended up...


This one is The Sheriff and Auntie G's wedding gift.. I fell in love with these fabrics, and had a hard time giving this one up. :-)


And, on to the aprons... :-)


This one is The Sheriff's...


Aunt M's... Kiki actually found and picked out the fabric for this one. I was searching for fabric, and she found this at the back of a fat quarter rack. I was quite impressed, because she pointed out that it looked like Aunt M, It is Michele D'Amore's "Surf&Sand" collection for Marcus Bros. textiles. The pattern is Vanilla House Designs Sunday Dinner Apron.. a favorite apron designer of mine. I have a bit of an apron obsession, and their patterns are my fav.Who could resist these pockets?This is the same pattern I used for Auntie G's apron... that fabric is also Michelle D'Amore... "Heat Wave", for Marcus Bros. textiles, as well.


For some idiotic reason I felt the need to try this apron on when I took pics of it. I'll never do that again, I promise. I love the fabric of this apron, but wish I hadn't embellished it with quite so many buttons. I didn't with Aunt M's--every time I do a project I learn new things. While I love how this apron turned out, I think the fabulous pattern stands well enough on it's own with good fabric.


Oh, the pockets! **swoon**Now, the reasons why I am including this picture...



1. To prove that I do have a waist, and indeed, am not a gorilla person, like the shoulder-y photo above of me would indicate.


and, 2. Because this pattern originally calls for 2 yards of this fabric, 1 yard of that fabric and a 1/4 yard of another fabric, and so on and so forth. Now, to be completely honest here, I will admit that I am a terrible yardage-figure-outerer. Mostly, I am very lazy, so I just buy a few yards of this, and a few yards of that, and deal with what I've bought. Well, when Kiki brought me the fat quarter pack for the Aunt M's apron, I originally started looking for the bolts to see if I could get yardage. But, they didn't have bolts of that fabric, and if I ever saw fabric meant for a body, that fabric was meant for Aunt M. So, I started thinking about it, and figured I could probably get it to work with a pack of 6 fat quarters. So, I bought this pack of fat quarters too, and that is how I made both of these aprons. Since then, I have discovered the joy of fat quarters. It's a great way to be able to get a usable piece of designer fabric, and actually be able to turn it into something. If you bought a quarter yard off a bolt, it would be 9 inches X 44 inches long. With a fat quarter it is 18 inches by 22 inches, so you have a much more workable piece of fabric. Sew Mama Sew recently had a month of fat quarter projects, very worth checking out for fun easy, and cheap fat quarter projects.


And, The Surfer's apron... I've discovered it's very hard to find fabric that works for guys... most of it ends up being just the tiny bit girlish... so I was very pleased with this fabric, and the fabric for the The Sheriff's... What's more manly than fire, and pirate skeletons? I originally wanted to do a skull and crossbones applique for this one, but I couldn't draw that out to save my life, so I had to give up. I was very pleased with it tho.


Ok, that's enough of that!!! I'm currently sewing my girls spring and summer clothes, so that is keeping me busy! I'll share pics when I'm done!

10 comments:

  1. I must say, that is many hours of sewing! Quite the impressive products. I love you, Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilts--especially the little girl one. She (and her mom) are going to be in love! Since I am moving to Aberdeen, perhaps someday I will learn to sew just by virtue of being there... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much creativity! And so much work, too...wonderful job, kiddo!

    Love the glasses on the bears, Auntie A!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love fat quarters too! i buy them for my mom, but really, i just have fun picking them out and buying them. :) hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilts, the colors and the cozy look! You do an amazing job! Those projects would have taken me months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa Girl! You could start your own SHOP! You should ETSY!

    LOVE the quilts (I typed guilts - oooo don't love those!) - but excited over the aprons, too! Wish I had half your talent but you know me and sewing machines....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your creativity! I guess I missed out on that gene=( We LOVE our blanket and I do not feel I have to many buttons on my apron thank you very much!!! Love you~G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are indeed some amazing productions you have there! You are very talented! Especially the buttony apron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. umm...you may have to be a little more specific when you say "The Surfer", as there is more than one in the family =)

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments! Love what you read, leave me some love! Or just say hi, I like that too. :-)