May will be 6 months since we moved into this house. And, I am reaching that point that I ALWAYS reach after moving (you'd think I'd actively remember this, since we've lived in 5 different places since we got married!) where I'm realizing what works, what doesn't, and what needs help with our living arrangements in this house.
So, the past couple weeks I've set about getting things the way I need them around here. When I had a job in an office, in an cubicle, I could NEVER focus, or get anything done, or work unless my area was perfectly organized. I can't function in mayhem. So, it makes sense that as a SAHM, my WHOLE house is that workspace. It has to be organized, it has to make sense, and it has to be neat, or else I shut down and don't function properly.
And, when Momma doesn't function properly, NO ONE functions properly.
Or has clean underwear or cereal bowls.
Since I'm still somewhat capable of moving and being active right now, I decided to take what time I needed off school with the girls, and just focus on the projects I want to get done before Bebe' gets here, and then when I'm not feeling quite so active we can buckle down and finish off the few weeks of school we have left. I've taken pictures through the whole process so far, so I'm just going to blog them, and you'll get them in the order I got them--the order of progress. :-)
This is my "Command Center". HORRIBLE, with the lack of organization and color. It made me so crazy. I get buried in paper despite my best daily efforts around here, as I'm the only one who throws paper of any kind out. So it just gets stacked up, and then I have to actively plan a time to deal with it all. The lamp was too short, so when it needed to be on in the evening it was casting a funny light on my laptop screen. And, even though it's a little weird to have a mirror over a desk, I do love it there because it reflects the lamplight into a very dark living room at night time, but the paint was chipping on the silver, and quite frankly I was bored with it.I've endeavored to do as much organization/decoration on the smallest budget possible. Not just because there is always way more expenses than money, but because it seems plain stupid to "have" to go out and spend a bajillion dollars every time we move on new lamps, tables, organization stuff, etc. To be clear, I'm not opposed to spending when needed and on pieces that will really make life better, and there's going to have to be some of that, but I do think there's a lot of satisfaction in re-purposing stuff you have, or getting stuff on the cheap and making it what you want. I enjoy working on a tight budget for stuff like this--the challenge is pleasurable. Except, of course, when I WANT to spend money. Then it's just annoying. Ha! So anyway, pretty much everything I've been working on the past couple weeks is of the cheap/free/re-purposing variety.
I guess this is the only before I have of these lamps, which is weird, because I could swear I took one of them specifically. Maybe it's later in my catalogue of photos--you might see it yet. Anyway, the lighting in this house is appalling at night--it is WONDERFUL in the daytime due to all the windows and skylights, but it was built in 1988, and has florescent, BUZZING lights everywhere. I can't handle them--it makes me feel violent when they're on. They make me crazy. And, we read A LOT in the evenings, so lamps were a must. Here is my helpers cleaning and de-stickering 3 lamps from Goodwill. They were all $9.99 a piece, and completely hideous. But they showed promise, and I may have danced a jig out the door of goodwill with them. Just you wait. :-)
Since I was spray painting it only seemed reasonable to give my kids something to spray too--a hundred pack of clothespins from the laundry section (NOT the craft section, they're way more expensive there!) we use them for everything, and they are so pretty when they're brightly colored.
There's a story behind this too--in the interest of saving some words for another post, I'll tell you that one in my next post. :-)
Taping up the mirror...YAY! So excited for this!! I can see the finished product in my head.
While I was working I became aware of the fact that Brie was CARRYING her bike everywhere in my periphery. I finally asked her what in the world she was doing. Well, it turns out that "Bikey" carries her around all the time, today she thought that maybe "Bikey" would like to be carried everywhere today. Ha!
My sweet helper.
AHHH! So excited over all these gorgeous colors.
So, upstairs on the other side of our bookcase we had just a chair, and a telescope on a tripod pointing out the window. Which is great, but it wasn't really a good use of space... the chair wasn't getting used because you didn't have a place to set your drink when you were sitting there, the lighting was terrible, and the tripod is Garrett's, but he just doesn't have time for it right now. Not to mention the fact that we're covered in clouds a goodly portion of the time here. This table was in the backyard of the house when we moved in. So I gave it a good looking over, and decided that it could be salvaged as an end table.
A good scrubbing with bleach, and more bleach, and a good sanding, and I knocked out a few of the boards on it because they didn't look so good, and it was already an improvement... stay tuned...
And Brie, overseeing the action. :-)
Stay tuned for the next batch of photos from the process...
dude... I want to see NOW... =) wishing I had a whole weekend to ...wait...er...a week... with hubby ... no kids no dog.... to tackle projects... and repaint my whole house... I've ruined it... (don't ask) =)
ReplyDeleteOne room at a time, Jenn, one room at a time. :-)
DeleteI really wish I was as creative and good with making over old stuff as you are! I already know your after pictures are gonna be great. Can you come do my house on the cheap?! After we have our babies, so they can play :)
ReplyDeleteThat's going to be SO fun! You know I'd love to help you--except maybe you should wait and see how mine turn out before you ask for real! Haha!
DeleteOoooooh I can't wait. I love your makeover projects. I wish I had the drive for it. But I don't so I do laundry instead and pat myself on the back for a job well done.
ReplyDeleteSome of this stuff was done with the intent to make laundry more manageable for me... just you wait! Laundry will be covered before we're done here!
DeleteAh Brie, you're so good to your bike. Maybe today when I get tired you can carry me : ) I am anxious to see how your mirror turns out because I did that same project and I had a couple issues--I want to see if you have "the fix" : )
ReplyDeleteI didn't have any issues with the mirror, but I did with a few other things. I think next time I do any spray painting I will stock up on spray primer first.
DeleteLove the colors you picked! Behold the power of a can (or 6) of spray paint!
ReplyDeleteSix cans, or seven, or eight, or maybe nine... I lost track. :-)
Deletefun! i completely understand! yesterday, i couldn't figure out what was bothering me at my desk, and i realized my papers had become unorganized! i sorted everything, and then i got back to work! sigh.... :) i'm so excited to see what you've created! clothespins!! sweet!
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely one of those things that can sneak up on you!
DeleteI am so looking forward to your projects! Darling College girl is leaving the dorm and moving into her first apartment this weekend. I'm headed up there tomorrow. It is tiny and we are both excited to make it her home away from home...on a dime. Well, let's make that a nickel. So I'll be stalking your progress for inspiration.
ReplyDeleteOoh fun! I hope you blog about it!
DeleteWay to take advantage of the pregnant nesting instinct! -kdk
ReplyDeleteMy doctor actually was really genuinely concerned when she heard what I was doing, because in her words, "it's FAR too early for you to be nesting!!" I had to reassure her that this was planned nesting as opposed to instinctive nesting and she still wasn't very happy about it. :-)
DeleteOh I can't WAIT to see the finished product! What do you use these pretty pins for?
ReplyDeleteI use them for bag clips. It seems like I use them constantly, although 100 is definitely overkill, and most of those will be more for looks. But I always clip bags shut with them, in the freezer, in my cupboards, in the fridge, everywhere. No bag goes unclipped shut around here.
ReplyDeleteLaundry section of where do you find clothespins? I have no idea about these things :-) I want to spray some turquoise...since I have always secretly admired your use of them as bag clips :-) Do you leave the metal part on when you spray them?
ReplyDeleteI am pretty sure I got this pack at Walmart (like where they sell hangers) for less than $5. I can't remember the exact price, but I do remember walking out of there feeling like I'd stolen them, they were so cheap! :-)I leave them fully assembled, and lay them on their side, with both the wood pieces showing--like you can see in the pic with Keira painting above. Then spray in a sort of waving motion so you get the outsides and the "top". Let them dry, and flip and do it again. The inside usually isn't perfect, but the outsides end up with two coats on them usually, and the color looks great. I always use gloss paint too... I think it looks nicer.
DeleteCool :-) I have some store credit at Wal-Mart I need to use up anyway! I have some glossy turq left over from my pantry shelves, too...yay, I have a cheap project to do!!
Delete